Monday, October 5, 2009

Bar-they-lone-ahhh

This weekend I went to Barcelona, which is not really pronounced how it looks, because all Catalans have lisps. No, really, and they have a lot of freaky X's in their words that make no sense and for all practical purposes, should not exist because they are neither phonetic nor are they pretty. All of this made me come to appreciate French even more than I ever have because it is pretty and more often than not makes sense in terms of pronunciation. (even if you disagree, Kyle.)

I spent the weekend with my two best friends from NYU and all I can really say about it is the three of us really understand the importance of eating. I mean I have never seen so much freaking food. Tasting menus are intense. How much freaking food can a person eat in one meal AND how can a meal last 3 hours? Thank god we were good company because I would be gnawing on my fork if I wasn't with Kyle, Alex, and her parents... BUT the food was fabulous, the wine even better, so maybe I would have been fine... or just drunk.

For those of you who haven't been to Barcelona, you should go just to see the Gaudi Sagrada Familia cathedral. It was gorgeous, and definitely one of the most intricately designed buildings I have ever seen in my life. It beats anything that I have here in Paris, and that is saying a lot, because I typically prefer classic, baroque, or gothic buildings, many of which I can find just around the corner. The cathedral is insane. I could have just seen that and gotten back on the plane. Or, rather, seen that, drank more Spanish wine, taken another shower in the hotel suite, and than returned chez de Ribiers.

Busy week in Paris this week: two class trips to two different museums on Wednesday (Cluny and the Louvre) which will both be fantastic and overly educational with a side of intense because those classes are held entirely in French. Mon Dieu. I also have family dinner on Weds which is always fantastic. Madame de Ribier grows increasingly impressed with my French and that brings me so much joy.

Pictures from Barcelona can be found on Facebook. Nothing else to report except apparently Adrienne ran into the British boy that I plan on marrying so maybe I should try to call him again.

Bisous.

No comments:

Post a Comment