Monday, November 16, 2009

Grammar

At the beginning of the semester one of my professors told me to think in French. Naturally, I took her advice, but I fear it was the worst advice she could have given a student who is 1. taking a class in English 2. not a French major.

That Vichy paper that I was complaining about, well, I got an A-. No complaints here, but my professor (swoooooooooon) circled all the various issues with my grammar. I need to explain to him that I do not need to be placed in remedial English and that I actually just think in French. Je peux pas écrire en anglais et ça m'énerve énormement. Maintenant, je suis tellement triste parce que je suis inutile avec ma langue propre, et j'ai une accent qui est absolument américain, et aussi je ne comprends rien du tout les choses qui concern l'accord de grammaire. De plus, les français ne me comprenent pas, sauf les jeunes et les ados et mes profs. C'est ridicule et c'est pas juste! Also, Professor Jackson is like 10. I would like very much to find out when he got his PhD because I either want to be him or want to mock him for not having a life after university and going straight to get his doctorate. Either way, I need to figure out what I am doing with my life.

It's funny, because the French have a particular way of speaking English and now I am stuck in the middle of my French and their English and am developing some cracked out hybrid franglais that is not helping anyone. But, I really love when I don't have to think and can just miraculously speak French. That is a beautiful experience and I hope everyone here in Paris has had it.

Aside from all that nonsense, I still need to find another freaking class for my major and finish doing my Vichy reading, which is all about the roots of Anti-Semitism. I am starting to think my obsession with the Jews, Nazism, and racial theory is a serious issue. It shouldn't be so fascinating but it is and for whatever reason it just gets under my skin and I just yearn to understand all of it. Reasons to be a professor: you never stop learning and you never stop feeling inspired.

I have a lot of work to get done before I leave this weekend and I imagine I CANNOT go out until I go to Rome. Also, I am breaching on broke and should start my holiday shopping. Everyone is getting little Eiffel Towers, sorry. I'm cheap and this country is killing my wallet.

I should end this with some kind of announcement like I normally do, so I will end it how I ended my paper, with hopes that someone understands the reference - and if you want to read the paper I'll send it to you too.

"Germany is always the soldier and France is always the peasant."

No comments:

Post a Comment