Thursday, November 5, 2009

Halloween: day of the dead and the true start of a week from Hell.

Halloween in Paris sucks. In fact, it blows. The parties are not all that great and people mock you openly on the street if you are in costume. My friend was dressed as a cat and people actually meowed at her. Are you serious? Even some frenchies got dressed up, which was great to see, because that means that these people might actually love my country, but it was at the same time disheartening because people who mocked us actually knew we were American. Talk about double standards.

However, last weekend, apart from being in bed all day Sunday working on my tumultuous Vichy France paper and crying to my father, was fantastic. My soon-to-be-roommate came to visit and I made a huge dinner to celebrate her arrival. A delicious penne vodka, spinach with emmenthal, lemon, and butter, and Adrienne made some guacamole. After our food coma, we ran off to Trocadero to see the Eiffel Tower's new light show. It was a bit tacky but a great way to show Miranda the city. We walked to Concorde and I wanted to die from food coma and general exhaustion, but it was well worth it, especially after seeing the reason why Paris is called the city of lights.

Saturday I took Miranda on the world's fastest and most jam-packed tour of Paris. It was Halloween, so we went to Pere Lachaise, where I have never been, and we saw Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde's tombstones. The tombstones were pieces of art and were huge, grandiose celebrations of death. I was happy she and I could both see it for the first time together. After that we ate a quick lunch and I had a delicious croque poulet, like a croque monsieur but with chicken. It is infinitely better with chicken, laisse-moi vous dire. Following that we ran through Notre Dame, ate delicious macarons at Pierre Hermes (where I will bring everyone who visits me here to taste their first macarons), ran to Sacre Coeur, ate incredible confit de canard (duck confit) at Le Sancerre (officially a new favorite place), and then celebrated Halloween, American-style, sans costumes.

Also, lets talk about the fact that studying abroad actually implies studying. Who knew? Not me. This past week has been the week from hell and back and over again Starting with my professor who actually thought a week was enough time to write an 8 page paper, everything just went downhill. Now, my tests are all over and I am infinitely relieved. La vie est bonne et tout va bien. I can relax and not have a mini seizure every time I turn around. Therefore, this weekend, I am celebrating with a bottle of Côtes des Rhones.

Faire la fête ce weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment