Sunday, November 15, 2009

Les Temps: Comment est-ce qu'il peut faire 15*C aujourd'hui?

Ok, France, let me in on your little secret. How the hell has it been so beautiful the past couple days?
Aside from the perpetual down pour yesterday, which limited me to my bed and watching the Simpsons dubbed in French (stay away, it's not entertaining), this weekend has been sunny and warm. And like 60 degrees fahrenheit. Oh and today I didn't need a winter coat or gloves. What is going on in this country? Everyone tells me that it's because of the different climate, which is obviously the most scientific answer, but it is indeed bizarre. What is most bizarre, however, is how the weather is different at different parts of the city. It's always at least 5-10 degrees warmer in my quartier than it is only 3 km away at the NYU center. My professor asked me if I lived in a "jolly quartier" (how I love this British man), and I supposed I'd have to say yes.

But this morning, I woke up to rain crashing on my window. Within two hours, it stopped and it was sunny. Then it was sunny for 3 hours in the Marais. Then the sun left me and oh wait, it actually gets dark here at 5PM. France, what the hell? You tease me with your spring like weather and then le soleil se couche.

I can't seriously complain, because I got to see so much and do so much that I had yet to do. I strolled on the Promenade Plantée, went to the Bastille, ate Churros, went out for delicious Sangria, went to the top of Sacre Coeur, and today I went to the Memorial de la Shoah - the Holocaust memorial museum in the Marais - and found bagels, but no cream cheese. France, you are trying to kill me.

I found my last name on the Wall of Names and I hope to find information about my family and see if these people are my distant relatives. It seems, through some online research, that my name has changed a few times (Sherbee, Sherba, etc.) so it's possible that they are not really my relatives, or that I am related to a lot more people than I thought I was.

To think, that in this Catholic country, I manage to find an intense passion for Judaic culture and a strong desire to find my family's origins. Take that, France!

No comments:

Post a Comment