Friday, November 27, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving.

There are so many things I have to be thankful for this year and always. Thursday evening, I enjoyed fantastic Thanksgiving dinner on the Eiffel Tower (not at the Jules Verne) with new friends, old friends, and a pretty decent attempt at capturing the joy that is Thanksgiving. Certain things were different but I can hardly complain about being able to eat on the Tower again - yes, I did it in senior year of High School. Yes, I am totally that cool. Regardless, the meal made me realize just how much I have to be grateful for in my life, starting with Paris. Everyone knows I complain about Paris. I have a hard time with its people, with the fact that they do not ever understand me, and am still not entirely pleased that eggs are not sold in a cold case. However, the De Ribiers have been so incredible, minus some internet drama, that I am able to push aside all of the issues I have with Paris and just say that I love it.

The truth is, there is no place like home, no place like New York. But there isn't supposed to be. I have my issues with the city as well, and at this point I assume it to be natural to be so ready to go home. By this point in the semester, I normally am so fried and so over being at NYU, and Thanksgiving always proves to be a relief. Now that its come and gone, I know I only have a matter of weeks left, and I find myself in a bittersweet position. I cannot wait to live my life and get back to the lifestyle I fell in love with last semester, but I don't want to leave this place anymore. This semester has been so heart-wrenching, so many different emotions occurring all that the same time, so many that sometimes I feel like I might burst.

Maybe I'm like one of the ex-pats now. I have two loves and two countries. Maybe I'll even consider Paris a second home when I get back to New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment