Sunday, September 6, 2009

Running.

Two things I can disprove about the French thus far: 1. Not everybody smokes. In fact, the people I live with find it disgusting. All of them. Even their 2 daughters. 2. Everyone is thin because they actually exercise.

Today I went for my first run in Paris, and really in a place other than New York, because I won't even run at home on the streets. Fact: Parisians do actually run on the streets. A friend told me that the French will never walk around sweaty or gross after exercising. This is total bullshit. I have seen more sweaty Parisians running, along the Seine, in my neighborhood, and in Passy, than I had ever seen in New York. Also, the parks here are designed for runners. The "tracks" or pathways that circle the park are not concrete, thus they are far better to run on. The track at le Parc Monceau, close to my apartment in the 17th, is fan-freaking-tastic. Though I could not run for the full 45 minutes that I normally go out for, there was tons of space for me to stop, stretch, do a couple yoga poses, and then continue on my little brisk jog. Runners here motivate me more than anyone in New York. They are legit: a lot of people run with weights and few people wear little matching outfits like they do on the West Side Highway in New York (actually, there were a lot of outfits that were just plain awful and I don't know how they left the house, even if just to run, in clothes like that). Also, something interesting: the water fountains were not like the ones we have that come up to your chest and you lean. You have to bend down, and its almost like a dual water fountain/foot rinse.

Also, after doing a bit of online research, I was able to find a gym similar to Bally Total or one of those other all female clubs called "Lady Fitness." Few people in my area speak English well, so I hope my French will be good enough to figure out if I can get a membership.

Now, time to shower and go back to the park to finish the book I never read for Orientation which starts, erm, tomorrow.

1 comment: