Saturday, September 19, 2009

Steak Tartare

After several years of being a vegetarian, my love for meat came back with vengeance. Let's discuss: consider how I broke vegetarianism. A plate of filet mignon, the most delicious and sumptuous of all the steaks, though I do prefer a hangar steak myself. Last night, after a lovely evening at the Centre Pompidou (Paris' answer to the MoMA), Adrienne, Michelle, Nicole, and I managed to find a decently priced little bistro/brasserie right next to the museum. The prices were fabulous and I think I might go back to this place again. I fell in love.

I spotted the Steak Tartare immediately. Since I feel like my time abroad should be a time of "firsts" (see other entries about my series of firsts: cabaret shows, macarons (OMG), bone marrow, and my first kiss in front of the Eiffel Tower), I decided I absolutely HAD to try the steak tartare. First of all, it looks disgusting. Like cat food on a plate. The server told me the difference between cru and poêlé, cold or slightly cooked, and so I went with poêlé to play it safe, because I've been sick and really didn't need to eat any E.Coli. It was magical. It came with frites and une petite salade with a dijon vinaigrette and I sighed with each bite, and in between enjoyed a smooth Bordeaux AOC. AOC in France means it is legitimate, a Bordeaux created in Bordeaux. In other words: Accept no substitutions. This shit is the best. Also, fun fact: Champagne is ONLY Champagne IF IT COMES FROM CHAMPAGNE. That's right kids - your sparkling wine from California IS NOT CHAMPAGNE. So get over it.

So the steak. I mean it was like a raw hamburger with the most amazing texture and taste, with a little bit of horseradish added in for a little kick. I swooned. After the date I had last week, I now know that I just love boeuf. Boeuf is fantastic and every time I eat it I will probably swoon like this. I just hope I can find an amazing burger place here in Paris, though most menus have American options and burgers. I'm looking for Spotted Pig quality burgers, with roquefort because that's all over France.

Also, enjoyed a Hoegarten (spelling?) last night with lime. The citrus really changes the taste of the beer. It was like a Belgian (or German?) Corona, except it didn't taste like pee.

I had my first experience at the Pompidou, which is super cool but better if you're into Modern Art, which I can't really say that I am, sadly, and I enjoyed my first Steak Tartare with some good company. I hope I get over this fear of ham that I have so I can try a croque-madame, and I should really work on the snails thing. If anyone knows where I can find frog legs, let me know.

Now, off to another first: THE TECHNO PARADE IN PARIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A day filled with all things techno and DJ FLOATS. WHY DOESN'T NEW YORK DO THIS? THIS IS THE GREATEST IDEA EVER! I can't wait. French hipsters at the Bastille? I'm all about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment