Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Techno Parade, and other things.

First, let's discuss the Techno Parade: a parade of huge busses filled with DJs, speakers, and ravers, dancing in the daylight, and most likely all on drugs. It was incredible. Alex and I, after enjoying some Leffe at his cute little apartment in Montmartre, went down to the Bastille and caught the end of it. Uh, can we say SHIT SHOW??? Everyone was tripping on something, or coming down from their trips, or straight up having seizures because of their trips, and falling all over the place. In between the people nearly dying on the side of the road, il y avait beaucoup de monde sur La Bastille. Literally STANDING on the Bastille. Seriously? Aparently the cops came with tear gas to subdue the crowds a bit, but people were still crazy. Beer bottles and broken glass everywhere, but no stench of weed. It was like the Halloween Parade times 80. However, ignoring the madness and the incredibly disturbing sights, and the fact that a lot of people I know got mugged or almost mugged, it was amazing to see just how many people in Paris and the surrounding area LOVE techno. I mean, a FULL DAY devoted to Techno and it's glory. I think this deserve an A+ for effort and delivery, and Alex deserves an honorable mention for being a great wingman, though I do wish we had gotten there earlier. Dancing in the parade was a lot of fun, especially because everyone there (at least in the parade and not on the sidelines) wanted to have a good time. AND A GOOD TIME WAS HAD BY ALL (or at least me...).

The rest of the night included getting some dinner crêpes and heading to a few bars on Rue Mouffetard. For the record, Oberkampf is damn shitty for bars. Rue Mouffetard is LEGIT. There are a million places to go and it's covered by youths, aka students who live in the Mouffetard Residences. I was so happy to see people my age in the bars and to see that France actually does have a nightlife or at least one street that slightly resembles New York. Though, I must say, I do miss the Williamsburg circuit because all of those bars were great and not just better than mediocre, like they are here. Met some cool NYUers and somehow ended up at the Hideout. I feel like the Hideout is becoming my place.

Sunday I went to Hôtel de Ville, the mayor's office or the equivalent of City Hall, here in Paris. It was Les Journées de Patrimoine (Heritage Weekend) here in Paris, so all of the major government buildings were open to the public. I could've gone to see Sarkozy's palace, but beaucoup de monde was there as well. Parisians here are never far from a piece of art or paintings; so many of the buildings have art that covers every wall. I would die a very pleasant death if I were just a cleaning lady in Hôtel de Ville or Versailles, or something similar. Truly breathtaking. I felt sick after a bit so Adrienne and I returned home to go buy some groceries. I bought a couple figs and was quite impressed. They are tres delicieux.

One thing I really have noticed is that my franglais is amazing. I can't speak French in public to save my life, but I can whip out French words in coversation like nobody's business. I am starting to think en français and sometimes I say "Je" instead of "I." I wonder quand this will be une problème. Ce n'est pas grâve.

Et, maintenant, je pense que je vais courir au Parc Monceau. Tout à l'heure.

No comments:

Post a Comment