Thursday, September 3, 2009

What the Seine can do for you

So, I guess I have to revoke some of the rather sharp things I said about Paris yesterday. The truth is, I am lonely, culture-shocked, and most likely still jetlagged. But today, I had a really beautiful afternoon with the lovely Nicole Catá, who I have to say, reminded me of all the reasons I came to Paris in the first place.

I met her at Notre Dame, which is definitely my favorite "monument" in the city of Paris; my favorite thing that I've seen in France in this point of my life is probably Versailles (which has this awesome modern art display outside that I CANNOT WAIT to see in a couple weeks). Notre Dame, for me, just represents this sweeping, massive beauty that is hardly containable, yet, it is placed on a little island in the heart of the city. I assume it had recently been cleaned, because the stone was hardly smoky. Afterwards, we enjoyed glasses of wine from the Loire River Valley, a crisp white wine that did not leave any sharp aftertaste, and crêpes. Instead of the ritual banane-nutella, I ordred a miel noix, which simply means nuts and honey (in reverse order). It was delicious. Simple, and probably less heavy than the banane-nutella. We walked along the Seine, which I had been dying to do since arriving, and took touristy photos while reminiscing about our high school trip to Paris together a few years ago. How many memories I made in this city one time before and how many more I can make. (Everyone must really think I'm bipolar - I swear it was the jetlag... and groceries... the land of yogurt, puh puh.)

Another thing: You know the smell of the rain? In New York, when it rains, particularly in the city, there is this smell. Here, that smell is different. Not better or worse, but, it exists. And I love the smell the rain makes.

So, now I am home, in my oversized chambre-de-bonne, listening to the rain fall on my windows, and considering doing some of the required reading that I did not do before. I think I will finish the mini-bottle of wine I bought. (It's called L'Art du Vin, or something like that, hah!)

à la prochaine fois.

3 comments:

  1. Don't kid yourself... you are bipolar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many great places to see in France like Notre Dame and Eiffel Tower. Just to walk around is already an experience. Sipping a cup of coffee while cruising the Seine is one of the few things you can do to savor your trip.
    ____________________
    Lifestyles of Paris

    ReplyDelete